Blogger Widgets

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Published: 2007
Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 
Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

I had already seen the movie and listened to the audio book of this book, but I decided I want a complete fresh take on the book and the rest of the series before the release of the final book in May.

I will admit to wanting to break my iPod when listening to the first book as the surprise twist which had I read the blurb for the next few books I would not have been so surprised, bun on some weird level I did see it coming.  I mean you do have that think that comes between the destined couple and it was a biggie.  All in all I love this story, I wish the movie had been better but hopefully the next one will be.

In this first book we really get to meet the major players in the series and I do love them.  

Clary Fray - The girl who grew up thinking she was normal with a father who died before she could really get to know him.  That is until she saw someone killed that no one else could see, opening up the doors to demon and other supernatural beings.  When her mom gets taken by the believed to be dead Valentine her only goal is to remember what her mom made her forget so that she can find the Mortal Cup and get her mom back.

Jace Wayland - Described as a danger magnet by Alec is the super hero, bad boy all rolled into one.  Being raised by the Lightwoods at the Institute, he loves to go off killing demons sometimes at both the risk of death to himself and those around him.

Though Jace and Clary are great I think it is the other characters who make the story amazing.  Alec who lives in the closet in "love" with Jace.  His sister Isabelle who is amazing with the whip.  Simon who has been in love with Clary even though his mother said she will break his heart.  And my favorite Magnus Bane the warlock who has a thing for Alec and watched Clary grow making him kind of protective of who her mother was really protecting her from.

Overall the plot line keeps you entertained and wanting more, the humor is also great for a good laugh and the plot twist at the end makes you need to put the next book on your TBR list.  I personally liked this book and can not wait to get my hands on the next book since this is as far as I got during the reading of this series the first time (I was reading during back to school shopping time and I work retail, life got in the way).  I will admit that while reading the book this time I did read some of the goodreads bad reviews, though they make some valid points I have found that not all books are for everyone.  Some people will like something that someone else will find fault in.  So yes these books are not for everyone but I have found that I do like them.  The book was readable, followed a good story line but it did have some slow moments that made me take longer to read a few parts.  The one downside I see with this book that for a first book in a series it is very long, but it does get off to a very quick start since the book starts in Pandemonium where she firsts witnesses something that no one else can see.


No comments:

Post a Comment